NEEDS - The First Northern European Conference on Emergency and Disaster Studies
- Theodore Steinberg, Case Western Reserve University, USA
- Susan Cutter, University of South Carolina, USA
- Anthony Oliver-Smith, Prof. emer., University of Florida, USA
- Allan Lavell, Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales, Costa Rica
- Richard Eiser, University of Sheffield, UK
- Nabil Ahmed, London Metropolitan University, UK
- Runa Johannessen, University of Copenhagen, DK
- Füsun Türetken, Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam, NL
- Danilo Bilotta, The Italian Civil Protection Department, IT
The interdisciplinary research project Changing Disasters is happy to announce the first Northern European conference on emergency and disaster studies.
The accelerating frequency and magnitude of natural and manmade disasters has spawned the development of numerous disaster research centres, projects, and networks across the globe. Scientists, academics, humanitarians, engineers, and private companies are but a few of the actors to emerge over the past two decades, reflecting the truly interdisciplinary character of the expanded disaster field.
The NEEDS conference aims to explore the status quo of disaster research and management. The conference wishes to harness its broad, interdisciplinary expertise by gathering disaster researchers from academic institutions and practitioners from the disaster management community (European and beyond) to build networks and to discuss the most pressing issues in disaster research across the academic and practical disciplines.